Monday, December 15, 2008

Other prostate stories

Prostate patients offer insight
by William Arnold - Dec. 15, 2008 11:26 AMSpecial for The Republic

Not every prostate procedure is perfect. You are warned that there can be side effects. Here is what some of my readers report:

Andy Tedesco of Scottsdale makes a very important point about PSA scores.
"Twelve years ago at age 67, my PSA was 0.7. The next year it rose to 1.1.Then to 2.0 followed by 3.4 and then 4.0. At that point my doctor sent me to a urologist. A 12-point biopsy revealed 12 positives and a Gleason of 8. I opted for radiation and seed implant surgery which required seven weeks of daily radiation treatment.
"Fortunately, I did not have any problems with incontinence. Five years later my PSA is steadily rising although it is still only 0.7. I will probably outlive the prostate cancer which still exists.
"The problem is that most physicians believe that there is nothing to worry about until the PSA reaches 4.0, when in reality it is the steady annual increase which indicates the cancer.
"It is the annual increase in PSA that really indicates the problem exists and not the magic 4.0.
"One concern with the seed/radiation treatment is that there is no visual examination of the prostate/bladder area."

Mark Kucera of New York City says “I'm 59 years old, had a Gleason score of 3+3, 6 total, and a PSA of 4.9.

“I had my prostate removed on August 6thof this year and was out of the hospital on August 7th. I was up walking about 7 hours after the surgery. I felt good enough on August 8th after being released to walk around New York for about an hour, per doctor’s orders.

“The catheter was removed after only 7 days. I had minimal incontinence at first during the day, but that went away after a couple of weeks. And I've had some leakage at night on 3 nights in the 2 weeks since taking out the catheter.

“By six weeks I have regained bladder control completely.

“I've been able to achieve erections sufficient for intercourse and had orgasms. But the erections are slower to develop and take more stimulation than before. I've talked to several of my physician’s patients, and they all have similar stories of excellent results.

“It hasn't all been easy or fun, but I'm thrilled with the results so far because I've heard so many tales of men fighting incontinence and struggling with sexual function for long periods after prostate surgery.”
Mel Calabash of Scottsdale recalled: "I had the robotic procedure at Mayo Nov. 5, and I can say it was a great success. My physician was Dr. Andrews, and I sing in praise to him every day.
". I had a PSA over 30 for better than three years and had 3 biopsies before cancer appeared. Because my prostate was so enlarged and stopped my ability to urinate, I had to wear a catheter for over 60 days prior to my operation. Today, I go like a 12-year-old."
Jim Blum of Scottsdale said: "I was operated on Nov. 22 at Mayo by Dr. Paul Andrews who performed the robotic procedure. I was released after one night's stay. My recovery has progressed well every day, and I received the great news that the pathology report confirmed that no cancer had entered the margins or outside the prostate.
"I also had an enlarged prostate that would have required 2 to 3 months of hormonal treatment before seeds and radiation could take place. I have also heard some not too pleasant examples of problems with seeds-radiation. For example, I have a very good friend who had the seeds, but had to keep his catheter in for 7 months.
Jerry Zuba of Scottsdale said: "I never felt during the post-prostate surgery that I was improving. It was like Groundhog Day every day. I had to wear a Foley leg bag for months even at work. Talk about embarrassing, and then I graduated to pads which I seemed to use at least 3-4 a day.
"Here it is 3 1/2 years after surgery and I still wear a pad because leakage still occurs on a small scale. I have been to the doctor many times, and unfortunately this is the best I can hope for. What a nightmare.
"I do feel doctors gloss over the fact that there might be a 10 to 20 percent risk factor. That might be OK for the 80 to 90 percent that things go OK, but if you are in the other category you really suffer mentally and emotionally. I think (doctors) truly believe that because of their skill level problems will not occur. This surgery was tough, and (I) would not wish it on anybody."
Next week: My postoperation review.
William Arnold is a professor emeritus at Arizona State University. Reach him at william.arnold@asu.edu.
Information and support services
• www.ConquerProstateCancer.com. Rabbi Edgar Weinsberg, who wrote Conquer Prostate Cancer, has numerous stories and helpful guides on this site.
• www.yananow.net/Links.html can give you useful information on procedures and treatment. You can order a free booklet, "A Strange Place," on the site. It's an information guide written by Terry Herbert, a longtime prostate cancer survivor who operates the site.
• For peer group support through UsToo, go to Mayo Hospital Room #MCH1-212, 5777 E. Mayo Blvd., Phoenix 85054, or call Ted Hinderman at 602-569-7536 or Chuck Voinovich at 602-953-4000. There are other UsToo support groups in Arizona and the rest of the country. More information: www.ustoo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment