Thursday, December 11, 2008

Men tell stories

Prostatectomy patients share surgery stories
by William Arnold - Dec. 8, 2008 11:03 AMSpecial for The Republic
In response to my recent column on prostate cancer, I decided to do a follow-up using the responses I received from the men who have had some form of treatment or are contemplating a treatment.
Let me begin with the choice that I made. Remember, it's a personal decision, and the choice is up to you.
Why did I select the robotic DaVinci procedure? First, I wanted a proven treatment that would be less invasive.
Second, I wanted a treatment that was available locally.
Third, I wanted a treatment that my insurance would cover.
Finally, I wanted the cancer removed as soon as possible. As you read this, I will be post surgery.
What do my readers have to say?
Rusty Dennison of Scottsdale recalls, "Being 47 years old, with no family history of prostate cancer and otherwise healthy, both my wife and I were shaken to the core by the diagnosis.
"Given the stage of my cancer, 90 percent on one side, stage 3a, Gleason score of 7 and my age, surgery was the only option that seemed reasonable. Surgery went fine. although I found the recovery process was far more protracted and difficult than I had understood.
"In the first few weeks after surgery, I was at times discouraged by what seemed like my slow recovery process, including general lack of stamina and an initially free flowing bladder. It was really quite quick, but didn't seem so at the time.
"I can remember my initial dismay at trying to figure out what kind of 'diapers' to get from the pharmacy, and then laughing through my tears when my wife brought home one package of every type Walgreens had so I could have my choice - I had no idea there were so many styles!
"By six weeks post surgery I had decent bladder control and only dripped upon physical exertion. I credit this pretty rapid resolution to the quality of my surgeon's skills and to yoga, which does wonders on the muscles that help with bladder control.
"It was close to 12 weeks before I felt generally safe not wearing some type of pad, but this was more for my peace of mind than for true need."
John Szakach says, "I was 53 years old. Never been in a hospital. Ever. I am an early retired airline pilot, and I've had PSA tests religiously since my mid-40s. My PSA has never been an issue until last year when it jumped from less than one the previous year to almost four.
"During the six months preceding the biopsy, we tried antibiotics and other measures to hopefully reduce the readings or attribute them to benign prostatic hyperplasia or some other cause. No such luck.
"My readings continued to climb at a fast rate, eventually reaching almost 9. The biopsy confirmed the reading, and I was a Gleason 7.
"I was incredibly impressed by my surgeon, Dr. Micheal Darson and his staff. I was also extremely impressed with every single person at Scottsdale (Healthcare) North. They made the entire process as comfortable as possible given the circumstances.
"After all, men don't talk about this stuff. Men always say everything turned out OK, because who wants to admit an incontinence issue or an erectile dysfunction issue?
"Somebody told me that if you want to know how men really recover, ask their wife."
Next week: More men respond.
William Arnold is a professor emeritus at Arizona State University. Reach him at william.arnold@asu.edu.
More on the topic
• For more information on the DaVinci robotic procedure, visit www.davinciprostatectomy.com/index.aspx.
• In addition, Gene Felker of Mesa, an 11-year prostate cancer survivor, created a non-profit organization to provide information and screening for prostate cancer. Visit www.prostatecheckup.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment