Wednesday, December 17, 2008

More Unpublished stories

These have not appeared in my column:

I too had PC and had it removed by the Da Vinci Robotic Prostatectomy Surgery. My PSA levels were between the range of 1.5 to 1.9, but my physician felt something while doing the DRE and sent me to an Urologist. Dr. Bombino who has done more than 200 of these types of surgeries did my surgery. Mine was done in April of this year. A friend of my also had his done two weeks before mine. We both concurred that the two weeks after the operation is the hardest time because of the catheter. Had the operation in the morning and was up walking around by five in the afternoon, the operation itself was a breeze!

The incontinence, as the Dr. said, it is going to take a year or more. So get a good supply of men’s guards to help. I still play golf at least five times a week , work out in a gym three times a week and play softball twice a week in a league.

Bob Colli

From a reader who does not have prostate cancer:

It has been my experience that the subject of prostate cancer commands immediate attention in any conversation among men over, say, 40 years. I have noticed that it gets every guy’s full attention regardless of how macho they perceive themselves. I am fine with you sharing anything I could offer, but I am not certain I bring anything of value since my latest PSA test was 1.2 and my digital exams have all been unremarkable.

I will add that my brother, 59 years old, underwent massive prostate surgery (removal) about 18 months ago and it was pure hell for him. Not only was the surgery painful and debilitating, but the post op follow up was very time consuming. Likewise, I have two friends who both opted for radiation seed implants and their procedures were very successful. Finally, my 87 year old father was diagnosed with prostate cancer approximately two years ago. He elected to do nothing and is fine, with no negative effects other than a high PSA count. We no longer have him checked since it is certain that he will not die from the prostate cancer but eventually something else.

Bob Slider, Mesa

A source of information:

A friend of mine had the traditional operation in 2003. He (Norman Susser) documented his experience in a book titled AT FIRST YOU'RE AFRAID, published in 2005 and available at www.iuniverse.com . The reason I know about the book is because of my own background in writing and editing. Norman asked me to look it over before he submitted it for publication. To be honest, I read it through superficially at the time, pointing out minor errors. After getting a catheter and following my operation, I read parts of it over and over again. He didn't have the same operation that I had and you will have soon, but he did have many insightful experiences and observations that I found more than useful. I don't even know if the book is still available and a sale of it is not my intention here, but believe me that parts of it would be useful in your post-operative period.

Mel Cebulash, Scottsdale

No comments:

Post a Comment