Sunday, April 25, 2010

Prostate Cancer 1/08/2010

Prostate-screening perspectives shared as another nears

Republic 1/8/10


Last fall I announced a prostate screening offered by Scottsdale healthcare. Robert Diepenbrock of Scottsdale sent me this follow up email.

“I had made appointments for a PSA test and a Cholesterol & Glucose tests, but was also able to have my skin checked for skin cancer, a test for osteoporosis, a fat percentage and waist circumference test and a review and evaluation of my test results by a physician.

During the event I was administered a Glucose test (the prick your finger blood test). I tested high. Based on this test result I have seen a physician and discovered I have Type 2 Diabetes. I'm treating it with a change in diet, exercise and medication (no insulin shots). If it hadn't been for the screening my condition could have gone on undetected and gotten worse.

I am truly fortunate to have attended this event and urge other men to attend the next event,” said Diepenbrock.

Phil Anderson responded as well.

“I had the robotic surgery in September, 2008 and I spent only one night in the hospital. I never had to wear more than a pad. That was for only about a month. My personal life with my wife has changed very little due to the fact with robotic surgery many of the nerves are able to be spared. I opted for the robotic way as I have a bleeding disorder, and this is much less invasive. I am a 70 year old man in fairly good health. My latest PSA test was in the negative zone. I know there are many options for prostate cancer and everyone must make their own decisions, but this robotic option, I feel is one of the best.”

Jack Szatkowski wrote me in September too late to get his comments in my column so I checked on him a couple of weeks ago.

“I had the seeding procedure in April, it has been and continues to be the most painful, miserable, and uncomfortable experience a person would want to go through. I am doing somewhat better; it is down to penis and urethra pain spasms and urinary retention. I just have to plan ahead when leaving the house.”


Hal Cope offers an interesting perspective.

I have been living under the ax of prostate cancer for years. In brief my PSA in 1992 was 2.5. Since that time it has climbed and climbed and climbed during which time I had biopsies upon biopsies.

Finally in 2001 with my PSA at 14.1 and with all biopsies and the Digital Rectal Examination [DRE] negative, I had the seed implant.

My PSA dropped to 1.4 then began its steady climb to 40.7 in April of 2008. It dropped to 34.4 in August, 2009. All DRE's were clear of cancer including the granddaddy of all biopsies 29 punctures with no visible sign of cancer. My doctor wanted to give me hormone shots to lower the number which I declined.”

Cope has his next check up this month. For many like Hal Cope, watchful waiting may be an option but you have to have regular check ups.

The next prostate cancer screening is January 23, 2010 from 8 AM to Noon in the US Airways Center at 201 E. Jefferson. Call (480) 964-3013 or 800-828-6139 to schedule your FREE Screening. Appointments required.

If you cannot get to this screening, schedule an appointment with your personal physician.

For both men and women, a regular physical examination with your physician is a good way to start this new decade.


Helpful sources:


Go to http://prostatecheckup.com to read other stories and learn more.

Go to my blog at http://prostatecancersupport.blogspot.com for previous columns and stories.

1 comment:

  1. I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in August of 2010. A precious friend told me about Dr Itua Herbal Center in West Africa,She gave me his contact number and email address,I contacted him quickly so he give me guaranty that his herbal medicine will cure my cancer and i will be heal forever I said Okay.I ask him about the process for the cure,he ask me to pay for the fees which i did and within 7 working days he sent me the herbal medicine then he instructed me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure.I told Gomez my friend about the herbal medicine so he gave me go ahead to drink it.So after drinking it for two weeks i was cured I'm so grateful and i promise i will recommend anyone with cancer to him and that what i'm doing.Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Tach Disease,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Skin Cancer,
    Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Fibromyalgia,a
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia ,Parkinson's disease,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,
    Diabetes ,Coeliac disease, Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Tach Disease,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpes,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Copd,Diabetes.
    Here Is His Contact Info......[Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ info@drituaherbalcenter.com. Whatsapp...+2348149277967]

    ReplyDelete